Friday, October 13, 2006

Customer Service and American Airlines - Tripple Play

Okay, it happened.

In my last rant about American Airlines I had to bash Northwest for screwing up a few years ago trying to get me home to San Jose, CA from Atlanta.Today I have a beef with US Air. Only three days after American Airlines rips the door off my plane, I am now experiencing the worst customer service I have seen in any industry. Apparently, some folks in the airport in Philadelphia, traveling on US Air headed to Florida were told to go to “gate 21” and talk to the ticket agent about what to do in order to get on the proper flight to Florida. Gate 21 also happened to be the gate I was boarding on to head back to Boston. These folks waited in line for over 20 minutes. When they reached the counter the gate agent barked at them “Don’t you listen, we are boarding for Boston. When we get done this process, in the next half hour, we may be able to help you.” To which the passengers were shocked. Then one lady pipes up, “Okay then, why did they tell us to come to this gate for help then? ” Well, the gate agent lifts her head up, looks her in the eye and says, “How the hell should I know lady!” “You know what, if you really want help, go to the US Air Service Desk near gate 25 and get out of the way!” I was shocked.

The group of passengers left and then the gate agent decides to speak to her colleague in a voice loud enough for everyone in the lounge to hear, “Well, I guess I am just a person on the street now.” “Don’t people understand we are tying to do a job here.” And then had more negative things to say about her job and the people (who fly and pay her salary).Well, there you have it. Three big name airlines, all with just incredible stories of bad service. So I guess in my earlier rants I should have been a little more easy on American Airlines, they all suck.

Now it is time to try some of these new air lines that are independently owned and operated and seem to be having some success. I know Jet Blue and Southwest will get my money on my next trip. I only hope they do better than the big guys.

No comments: