Friday, October 13, 2006

Customer Service and American Airlines - NOT AGAIN!!!

Just when you think you may be out of the woods???
I can't believe it... Let me get this straight, you call support to have them help you right? So here I am, back on the phone with American Airlines - who, I think I have it figured out now. You need to go to aa.com support when dealing with the internet. Anyway, I have been trying to book a flight on line for about 20 minutes. I am redeeming miles but I still have the pay the $60 fee for god knows what. When I get to the page to "purchase" the ticket, there is no "purchase" button. Instead is tells me if I am from a foreign country or based outside the US that I have to "hold" the ticket. I do so, figuring I can then go in an purchase my ticket via another screen. I search for another 20 minutes and cannot figure out how to "purchase" my ticket, so yes, you guessed it, I call support. After speaking with them for 30 minutes and them telling me that they are logged in as me and they do see a "purchase" button, yet I don't. I walk through the process of telling them how I created my ticket and the "foreign country" disclaimer at the bottom and they tell me that this may be an issue. They proceed to tell me that the system shows that I have changed my address to Afghanistan and then ask if I am not in the country. I tell them that I am in the country and I have never tried to change my address so I am unclear why this would be the case. (Keep in mind, I have had issues buying tickets over the web now for over a year.) They still can't understand why I can't purchase tickets, but they can for me. I reiterate to them that I have already kept them on the phone for more time than the $5 they are going to charge me for this ticket and if they insist on charging me because the issue "has nothing to do with them" as it is "my server serving up this page" (not sure where they get their technician but this is humorous to me, that I will keep them on the phone for at least $10 more worth of time. They proceed to put me on hold for 30 minutes and "claim" they test this on 5 different computers and it works with my login. They also decided to give me the: "Oh, you need to reboot" "Oh, you need to change your Internet Explorer settings" "Oh, you need to use IE because Firefox isn't supported" You know, all the things, non-technical people tell you to do when trying solve an issue where they can't figure it out. None of these worked. So, while I was on hold, I went to check my profile. Sure enough they had me as being located in Brookline, MA Afghanistan. I changed it to USA, relogged in and went to my itinerary and sure enough I could "purchase" my ticket. As I have always said, its not necessarily about the poor service, but the fact that the poor service takes 1 hour away from my day of being productive...
Will this be the last time???

No comments: